Thursday, October 10, 2013

Consider Me Inspired Beginnings, Apple Pie!

Since the first thing I ever baked was an apple pie with my grandmother at just 4 years old, what better way to start out my blog than with an apple pie recipe??!
I searched for pictures of me and my grandma with my first pies but we only have a video. My first time baking, my grandma started me out with just a tiny pie tin (think personal serving size!) Each time we baked pies I was upgraded to a bigger size until I reached a full sized pie!
Unfortunately, sometime along the way as I grew up & got busy with life, my pie baking days with my grandma stopped. Now, it goes so long in between baking pies that I normally have to call my mom to remember what to do! But, each time I do bake an apple pie, as I am pinching the crust, I think of my grandma and how grateful I am for the time she took to teach me. I am also reminded how much I need to still take time and learn from her! I can't wait for the time when my little girl can go to her grandmas' houses and learn from them!
Well, here is a yummy Apple Pie with crumb topping. Enjoy! (this is not my grandma's recipe, I love a good crumb topping on my pie, if you prefer a crust on top just double your crust recipe!)


Ingredients:

Crust:
-1 1/2 cups flour
-1/2 cup Crisco
-1/4 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp sugar
-1/4 cup of cold water

Filling:
-Enough apples to fill your crust. (peeled, cored and sliced)
-2/3 cup sugar
-2 Tbsp. flour
-1 tsp cinnamon
-1/2 tsp nutmeg
-1/4 tsp salt
-1/4 cup water

Crumb Topping:
-1 tsp cinnamon
-1 cup brown sugar
-1 cup oats
-1/2 cup butter, softened


Instructions:
1. Make crust. Using a fork, mix together flour and Crisco in bowl. Add salt, sugar and cold water to bowl and mix until combined, you may need to use your hands.
2. Flour a flat surface and your rolling pin. Roll our your crust until its a little bigger than your pie pan. Place rolled out crust into pan and cut off access dough. Pinch crust together using fingers. Poke a few holes in the bottom of the crust with a fork.


3. Cut up apples and mix with sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, & salt. 


4. Place the apples coated in the mixture into the prepared pie crust. Pour 1/4 cup of water over apples.
5. Crumb Topping: Combine all ingredients until crumbly. (make sure your butter isn't to melted, you want it soft but not runny). Spread crumbs evenly over apples. 
6. Bake at 425 degrees for 55 minutes, or until apples are soft.



Make sure to enjoy your apple pie with a scoop of ice cream! Happy Fall!




Please comment and let me know if you try this apple pie recipe & what you think!



Sometime during the baking of my apple pie, it baked out over the pie pan & made a HUGE mess in the bottom of my oven, ughhh! So, first of all, I am warning you to make sure you don't over fill with apples & secondly you might want to put a piece of aluminum foil on the rack below your pie. 
Anyways, this created a reason for a future post on how to clean your oven. To see how I cleaned this mess out of mine, keep in touch!



If you want to save this recipe & try it later, PIN IT to your pinterest!


1 comment: